To attract new businesses to locate in Indian River County and encourage existing businesses to expand locally, the Board of County Commissioners established the Local Jobs Grant program. The program offers financial incentives to eligible "targeted" firms for creating new full-time higher-wage jobs within the County and maintaining those jobs over multiple years. Those targeted industries are included in the county’s Comprehensive Plan.
Targeted businesses that create five or more new full-time jobs paying at least 75% of the county's average annual wage are eligible to apply. The county's average annual wage is $37,284 (excluding benefits) or $17.93 per hour.
Qualifying businesses will be paid per job as outlined in the table below. An additional 10% bonus is available for a business that locates within the area formerly designated as the Indian River County/City of Vero Beach Enterprise Zone, which includes the Vero Beach Regional Airport and adjacent Gifford community.
Percent of Average Wage of New Qualified Jobs
Grant Amount per New Job Created
75% to 99.99% of county average annual wage
$3,000 per job
100% to 149.99% of county average annual wage
$5,000 per job
150% or more of county average annual wage
$7,000 per job
Similar to the State's Qualified Targeted Industry Tax Refund program (QTI), this is a performance-based program, meaning that the dollars awarded are paid to the company after the jobs are in place.
Indian River County, along with the cities of Fellsmere, Sebastian and Vero Beach, offers eligible relocating and expanding businesses a Property Tax Exemption. Depending on the type of industry, the number of new jobs and the capital investment, property and tangible taxes could be exempted (or "abated") for up to ten years. Click here for a copy of the application. Please email or call the Economic Development Director to see how this program can benefit your company, firstname.lastname@example.org or 772-567-3491.
The Chamber's Economic Development Office works closely with Enterprise Florida, Inc., our statewide economic development organization, to coordinate state programs to encourage new or expanding businesses to locate in, and bring new jobs to, Indian River County.
Florida's stable and highly favorable tax climate provides advantages that make a Florida location profitable for every type of business. Progressive legislation also ensures that Florida remains a worldwide hub for new and expanding businesses. And, Florida residents pay no personal state income tax.
- NO corporate income tax on limited partnerships
- NO corporate income tax on subchapter S-corporations
- NO state personal income tax guaranteed by constitutional provision
- NO corporate franchise tax on capital stock
- NO state-level property tax assessed
- NO property tax on business inventories
- NO property tax on goods-in-transit for up to 180 days
- NO sales and use tax on goods manufactured or produced in Florida for export outside the state
- NO sales tax on purchases of raw materials incorporated in a final product for resale, including non-reusable containers or packaging
- NO sales/use tax on boiler fuels
- NO sales/use tax on co-generation of electricity
Florida offers Sales and Use Tax Exemptions on…
- Purchases of machinery and equipment used by a new or expanding Florida business to manufacture, produce or process tangible personal property for sale
- Labor, parts and materials used in repair of and incorporated into machinery and equipment that qualify for sales tax exemption upon purchase
- Electricity used in the manufacturing process
- Semiconductor, defense and space technology-based industry transactions involving manufacturing or research equipment
- Aircraft parts, modification, maintenance and repair, sale or lease of qualified aircraft
- Commercial space activity -- launch vehicles, payloads and fuel, machinery and equipment for production of items used exclusively at Spaceport Florida
- Labor component of research and development expenditures.
- Any facility, device, fixture, machinery or equipment required for pollution control, abatement or monitoring of equipment used in manufacturing processing or compounding items for sale.
Indian River County participates in the state's Qualified Target Industry (QTI) Tax Refund program, and the Economic Development Transportation Fund. CareerSource Research Coast offers a variety of training programs for new and expanding businesses, along with Training Grants for new or incumbent workers.
Please call the Economic Development Office at 772-567-3491, or email email@example.com for more information on any state or local programs.